I have been hunting, with my camera of course, a pair of golden-fronted woodpeckers, for several weeks. These birds are about as ubiquitious as mesquite in Palo Duro Canyon and I even know where their nest cavity is located. Despite this, they continue to ellude me. Time in the field, however, almost always produces something of interest even if it isnt caught on camera. In this case, I found a female prairie lizard on the side of a soap berry and started to photograph her. Then I hit record and much to my delight, a male arrived and started to court her with push-up displays and some serious nudging. In the video, the male is much smaller and in some parts of the video you can see the bright blue on his sides. Get outdoors and take a child with you. There is so much to see and hear and like I said, who knows what you will discover.
- Check us out at our new Twitter @TexasWildEd , catch up on our crazy adventures and follow us on new ones. 2 years ago
- Behind the Scenes: Bloopers to byways and everything in between - bed bugs rain down on us wp.me/P2lfHQ-9l via @wordpressdotcom 2 years ago
- Southern Plains Montage: our first "long" film wp.me/p2lfHQ-9d via @wordpressdotcom. Check this out for a visual and audio escape! 3 years ago
- Woods of the Apache and a marsh of my dreams wp.me/p2lfHQ-8e via @wordpressdotcom 3 years ago
- Photos of a Panhandle sunset, Prairie sky on fire! wp.me/p2lfHQ-81 via @wordpressdotcom 3 years ago
amphibians Aoudad audio Bastrop State Park bats birding birds bird watching bison black bear Blue Springs State Park bobcat bobcats Bosque del Apache brazilian free-tailed bat buffsgonewild camping Caprock Canyons State Park caprock canyons state park and trailway Caprock Canyon State Park carnivore Clarity Tunnel colorado conservation courtship coyote Cryptotis parva deer dslr video feral pigs FLIR Florida free-tailed bats hiking Jim Ray kids and wildlife least shrew lizard macro mammals Matlack and Story nature nature writing New Mexico outdoors Palo Duro Canyon Palo Duro Canyon State Park panhandle Pantex photography prairie rattlesnake pronghorn raccoons Ray Matlack red spotted toad reptiles rocky mountain national park sandhill cranes snakes Texas Texas horned lizard Texas panhandle Texas Wild thermal camera thermal imaging for wildlife viewing thermal video video videography West Texas A&M University wildlife wildlife biology wildlife film wildlife photography wildlife viewing wild turkey